Project Reference Number:
ECOLIVE is an Erasmus+ Strategic Partnerships Project with a running time of September 2015 – August 2018.
Olive oil is the central component of the Mediterranean diet and the countries around the Mediterranean sea have the largest production of olive oil in the world. Οlive oil represents a big part of the exporting activity of these countries in the agricultural sector. However, there is a growing trend in the international market towards the organic products and there is a growing need that the production from the part of the Mediterranean producers is able to match this need.
Organic olive oil is a high quality product with high value compared to other types of olive oil and it is certified by the competent quality bodies in each Member State. In order to be able to produce and sell successfully organic olive oil, there is a need to support the training of production entities of organic olive oil, members of agricultural cooperatives and managers of companies working on the conversion of conventional oil production forms into production of olive oil through organic farming. This will be achieved through the training of members of Agricultural cooperative and executives of production companies, and they in turn will train farmers in the following fields:
- Preparation and management of the olive grove’s soil and the maintenance and improvement of soil fertility.
- Organic fertilization of the olive grove.
- Plant protection of the olive grove. Measures of protection against pests and diseases.
- Harvest and transport techniques.
- The production of olive oil with natural methods at a suitable temperature without the use of chemical solvents.
- The packaging, maintenance and transportation of organic olive oil.
- The labeling of organic olive oil.
- Exporting Organic Olive Oil
The training will be realized through the use of e-learning and m-learning and addressed to members and managers of agricultural cooperatives and companies in order to enable them to guide farmers in the production and certification of organic olive oil.
The accomplishment of the project’s objectives will contribute to the improvement of the olive oil production in the participating countries and the enhancement of farmers’ income as the selling price of organic olive oil is much higher than the price of conventional olive oil. This will also lead to the local and regional development of the oil producing regions.
Target Groups of the Project:
The main target group and the final beneficiaries of the project are the producers of olive oil in the oil producing regions of the partner countries. These producers are the most important target group of the project because it represents the final beneficiaries, the people who are going ultimately to benefit from the results of the project. Another target group are the members of Agricultural cooperative and executives of production companies, who are going to be trained to become teachers of the olive oil producers through the use of the project material and resources.
- Transnational Training Needs Analysis: The Transnational Training Needs Analysis is a document that will analyse in a comparative way the results of the desk and field research realised in the partner countries related with the identification of the training needs of the olive producers regarding the procedure for the certification of organic olive oil
- Blended Learning Material for the training of olive oil producers to the procedures of production and certification of organic oil: The training material will have as a main goal to train the farmers and everyone that is involved in the process of production of olive oil (members of Agricultural cooperatives and executives of production companies) in all the different phases of the production of organic oil from harvesting until preparation for exports.
- E-Learning and M-Learning Platform: The e-learning platform and m-learning platform of the project will be the technical infrastructure which will be the basis for the organisation of the e-learning courses.
- Teacher training sessions: The teacher training sessions are going to be organised in 2 different phases. The first phase is going to be organised face to face in the framework of a transnational project meeting for 2 master trainers and the 2nd one is going to be organised through e-learning for the rest of the 12 trainers with the support of these 2 master trainers.
- Blended Learning Courses: The blended learning courses are going to be offered to the farmers and the producers of organic olive oil in the partner countries.