Project Reference Number:
Gümüşhane Traditional and Organic Products Business Development Center (İŞGEM) is a Technical Assistance Project with a running time of August 2016- March 2018.
The model of Business Development Centres (İŞGEM) as an entrepreneurship promoting mechanism and business incubator, support both new business establishments that is to say the small and medium sized businesses which are shortly defined as SME’s, and employment increases. In İŞGEM model, at the early stages of business establishments supports are provided to entrepreneurs to assist their institutionalization during the market entrance and development phases.
At the regional level (Gümüşhane Province), the key challenge is to establish a proper environment for the development of entrepreneurship. Gümüşhane has a less developed, mainly rural economy, which depends on traditional sectors. Therefore a new İŞGEM hosting prospective entrepreneurs and supporting dynamic start-ups in traditional sectors is expected to increase the quality and capacity of manufacturing food sector and foster trade / economic relations with other regions and abroad, improve competitiveness and local growth, in line with the other policies defined in the regional planning.
Beneficiaries of the Project
The project’s Contracting Authority is the DG for EU and Foreign Affairs (DoEUFP) within the Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology (MoSIT). Eastern Black Sea Development Agency (DOKA) is the End Recipient of Assistance for the Gümüşhane-İŞGEM Operation. Governor of Gümüşhane also participating in DOKA is the senior Representative of the End Recipient.
- Potential entrepreneurs and start-ups in Gümüşhane province
- Female entrepreneurs and young entrepreneurs (positive discrimination measures will be taken so as to ensure that at least 25% of İŞGEM tenants are women or young entrepreneurs)
The main objective is to contribute to the socio-economic development of Gümüşhane, through strengthening entrepreneurial infrastructure in Gümüşhane and increasing technical Capacities of enterprises in Gümüşhane İŞGEM. This will be achieved via the operational set-up of the Gümüşhane İŞGEM and the provision of business development support to twenty new entrepreneurs who will be hosted in the İŞGEM.
- Improving İŞGEM’s service infrastructure
- Strengthening Technical Capacities of İŞGEM and its Tenants
Challenges and Opportunities
- The Gümüşhane İŞGEM is relevant to the national and regional plans, policies and strategies in terms of establishing a proper environment for the development of entrepreneurship.
- It deals with the lack of support and services to start-up businesses which have been mentioned in strategy documents as a serious regional weakness.
- Gümüşhane has a less developed, mainly rural economy, which depends on traditional sectors. Therefore a new İŞGEM hosting prospective entrepreneurs and supporting dynamic start-ups in traditional sectors is expected to increase the quality and capacity of manufacturing food sector and foster trade / economic relations with other regions and abroad, improve competitiveness and local growth, in line with the other policies defined in the regional planning.
- Gümüşhane İŞGEM by providing nursery hosting to new entrepreneurial initiatives and ideas would keep young entrepreneurs in their home region. Also, İŞGEM aims to attract female entrepreneurs.
- Gümüşhane İŞGEM as an incubator for traditional products would establish synergies with other local agricultural development policies/projects and, because of that, cause a high added value for the region, either to the manufacturing or agricultural sector. For this purpose, networking must also be developed with otherneighbouringİŞGEMs, existing or future.
- There is an availability of raw (agriculture and forestry) materials and know how (coming from Gümüşhane University) in order to create the appropriate conditionality for the production and manufacturing of traditional competitive products.
- Identification of Strategically Important Sectors in Gümüşhane Province
- Value Chain Analysis Reports & Demand Estimation Survey Results Report
- Gümüşhane İŞGEM Business Plan – Version 1.0 & Service Delivery Manuals of Gümüşhane İŞGEM
- İŞGEM’s Communication and Visibility Strategy & Functional website
- Promotional Seminars implemented
- İŞGEM staff trained & Training reports (including approved Training Programme)
- 3 Study visit reports (2 national visits and 1 international visit)
- Launch event report
- Acceptance of the first 20 tenants of the Gümüşhane İŞGEM
- Tenant’s Business Plans improvement programmes
- Training, consulting, mentoring and advisory sessions delivered to the tenants
- Tenants’ improved Business Plans
- Business Development Services assessment report
- Updated Gümüşhane İŞGEM Business Plan – Version 2.0
- Two Project Proposals for possible funding of Gümüşhane İŞGEM expansion